Friday, August 8, 2008

Another great book...


Steve got this book for me for my birthday. It sat on my bedside table for a few months as I read through the pile of books. I don't know why I waited so long. I started reading it out loud to Steve while we drove to Seattle for the 4th of July. I had a hard time reading because I would get choked up. The inside cover it says:

My name will mean nothing to you, but my story is a retelling of the greatest story ever told and should mean everything to everyone. If you interpret my words as fiction and fiction only, you will miss out on truths that are both historical and spiritual. Search the scriptures. There you will find evidence of my existence recorded in ancient sacred writ, overlooked for millennia. My story comes forth now because now is the promised day when satanic doubt spreads like black ink, threatening to blot out His very name, to reduce Him to nothing more than a teacher, to erase the eternal truths He taught and lived. That cannot happen. Jesus was who He said He was. I know because I was there in the shadows of His holy footsteps. His miracles were real. I know because I am one of those miracles.

You can read the first chapter here on the Deseret Book website. I absolutely loved this book. This is one I will read again. This author does an awesome job of telling what we know from the scriptures of the Savior's life and filling in the gaps with a few fictional characters that are true to the times and customs. It really brought this time period to life for me and made me think and feel more of what the Savior's life means to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so behind in books right now, but I will try to remember this one!