Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mmmmm.....

Our ward has a cooking class once a month. They usually have a theme each time and recently the theme was wheat bread. I didn't go to the class but I did get the recipe and gave it a shot. I have been making bread since I was about 14 and have tried many recipies over the last 25+ years. This new recipe is the best! It has a couple of ingredients that I have never added to bread and wouldn't thought of one of them either. That magic ingredient is lemon juice. Apparently the citric acid helps with the yeast. This new recipe also uses gluten, which I have never used either. As you can see they are nice sized loaves. The bread is just the right consistency and moisture. The flavor is good too. The sweetener is honey. There is only 2/3 Cup for this batch of 4 loaves. This recipe mixes up in my mixer, raises once and bakes. If I have my wheat ground already I can have 4 loaves done in about 1-1/2 hrs. I really need to make 8 to last, but I would rather fresher bread and make it more often.
After making 4 loaves, there is only one left. I think if I get back to making bread regularly the novelty of fresh bread will wear off and it won't disappear as fast as it comes out of the oven. It sure does taste good!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: