Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Logan's Class Field Trip

Logan's 5th grade class went on a field trip last week and I got to follow along. We have lived in Boise for 14 years now and I had never been to any of the places we visited on this field trip. There are art displays around Boise that you miss when driving around. I am so glad I packed Emily into the stroller and went along with the class.
The students started at the Idaho Historical Museum. It was fun. I had a group of 6 students and they had to find 6 items to build a scavenger hunt. Then the papers were traded with another group of students and we had to find what they put on their scavenger hunt! It was a great way to engage the students in a museum. I think they learned something! After a lunch in the park they boarded the bus to the Basque museum area and stared the Boise Art Walk. They had 10 different stops around downtown Boise that we walked to and answered questions regarding the different pieces of art displayed around Boise. There are huge postcards on the side of buildings, sculptures, paintings, artwork in the sidewalk. If you look closely at the photo of the bear heads, you will see the students fingers doing their own exploring! I thought it was a cool photo and only saw what they were doing after I loaded the photos onto my computer! The last stop before returning to school was the Basque Museum. Their culture, language, and way of life was interesting to learn about. Whaling was a big part of their culture. Their homelands cover area in Spain and France. It is their language that makes them unique.

No comments: