Friday, May 23, 2008

LDS Gems

I subscribe to LDS Gems from the LDS.org website. I get emails daily with quotes about/for family and another one on just general gospel topics. I love the quick little reminders of what is or should be important in my life. After spending 3 or 4 hours at school, going from a meeting for one child to the classroom of another child, meeting with teachers in the hall about yet another child, I come away wondering how I am really going to help my children be successful in school. There are so many challenging needs. I open my email to this reminder, and it is just what I needed. I can just hear President Monson's voice as he counsels.
Gems on the Family
The Home Is the Most Significant Classroom
"Perhaps most significant of all classrooms is the classroom of the
home. It is in the home that we form our attitudes, our deeply held
beliefs. It is in the home that hope is fostered or destroyed. Our homes
are the laboratories of our lives. What we do there determines the course
of our lives when we leave home. Dr. Stuart E. Rosenberg wrote in his book
The Road to Confidence, 'Despite all new inventions and modern designs,
fads and fetishes, no one has yet invented, or will ever invent, a
satisfying substitute for one's own family.' "

(Thomas S. Monson, "Precious Children--A Gift from God," Ensign, Nov. 1991, 68)

No comments: