Sunday, March 29, 2009

I love good quotes...

I love a good quote. A quote that is easy to remember but though provoking. I have a notebook that I write in at meetings, recording quotes from the speakers.

My sister, my mother, and I attended the General Young Women's broadcast from Salt Lake last night. We thought it was the General Relief Society Broadcast. When we walked into the Chapel and saw mothers and daughters we quickly realized that is was NOT a Relief Society broadcast. After the meeting we concluded that we are ALL Young Women and it is always good to listen to the prophet!

A few things for my quote book....
President Monson shared a quote from Mother Teresa that I really thought was a good one and a good reminder to me.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Teresa

President Monson talked about having courage in times like ours, where truth is distorted and having good morals is no longer valued. President Monson shared a quote from Ted Koppel's 1987 Duke University Commencement address:

"We have actually convinced ourselves that slogans will save us. "Shoot up if you must; but use a clean needle." "Enjoy sex whenever with whomever you wish; but wear a condom."

No. The answer is no. Not no because it isn't cool or smart or because you might end up in jail or dying in an AIDS ward -- but no, because it's wrong. Because we have spent 5,000 years as a race of rational human being trying to drag ourselves out of the primeval slime by searching for truth and moral absolutes. In the place of Truth we have discovered facts; for moral absolutes we have substituted moral ambiguity. We now communicate with everyone and say absolutely nothing. We have reconstructed the Tower of Babel and it is a television antenna. A thousand voices producing a daily parody of democracy; in which everyone's opinion is afforded equal weight, regardless of substance or merit. Indeed, it can even be argued that opinions of real weight tend to sink with barely a trace of television's ocean banalities.

Our society finds Truth too strong a medicine to digest undiluted. In its purest form Truth is not a polite tap on the shoulder; it is a hallowing reproach.

What Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai were not the Ten Suggestions, they are Commandments. Are, not were. "

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice Jeni!! You are very talented in you writing!! I haven't seen you for a while! Hope things are going good!

Lisa said...

You most certainly are a young woman! I love the Mother Teresa quote. I need to jot that one down.

Thanks for sharing. Next year I will be attending that one with Nicole.

Kelli said...

Today I had a friend give me some red envelopes to send to Pres. Barak Obama on the 31 Mar.2009. We were asked to write: "This envelope represents one child who died because of an abortion. It is empty because of the life that was taken." I didn't feel right about adding the next two sentences they suggested and I wanted to write the quote President Monson shared by Ted Kopple, this past weekend at The Gen. YW Meeting. In my search, I also found a quote I also appreciate from Mother Teresa. Hope you enjoy this as well! "If we accept that a mother can kill her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill each other? Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching people to love, but to use violence to get what they want ...I am willing to accept any child who would be aborted and give that child to a married couple who will love the child and be loved by the child." Mother Teresa 3 Feb. 1994 Washington DC
You are doing a great job sharing important things! Thank You! I hope we can all do the same as we 'Dwell in Truth and Righteousness'!

tiki_lady said...

what a beautiful message and words! I so agree. Hey, I love quotes too! I used to write all the quotes down and keep them in a book. Now I can't find the stinkin' book! and guess what??


there is a quote for absentmindedness too.